Half were C-level executives, and respondents overall represented a range of functions, including marketing, sales, finance and R&D. A survey of 267 consumer products and retail executives and in-depth interviews with about 60% of executives representing CP firms and 40% of executives representing retail. Cultivate an agile culture of experimentation
3. The vast majority of consumer products and retail executives (66%) say that collaboration with smaller entrepreneurial firms has become increasingly important to drive innovation and achieve their strategic goals. Iterate and work incrementally
The full paper can be downloaded here: www. ey. com/CP-innovation
Notes to editors
About the survey
Delivering agile innovation is an EY executive summary based on two key strands of research. Overcoming the difficulties of collaborating with entrepreneurs will be critical if companies in the sector are to thrive in the long term.
The paper, which also features the insights of 45 in-depth interviews with senior industry figures, outlines nine key principles that larger consumer products and retail companies should follow to create value from collaborating with smaller entrepreneurial firms and deliver agile innovation.
1. Our offices are based in Bucharest, Cluj-Napoca, Timisoara, Iasi and Chisinau. We are very grateful to all the individuals who participated in the research.
About EY Romania
EY is one of the worlds leading professional services firms with approximately 175,000 employees in 728 offices across 150 countries, and revenues of approximately $25. 8 billion in 2013. Maintain open and frequent communication
7. Growth is challenging, margins are stressed and the rapid evolution of technology and data has fundamentally changed consumer behavior.
Succeeding in the age of innovation requires companies to rethink their approach to new product and process development. Determine the appropriate framework for each collaboration
6. Access to real time consumer data from several sources, including by using data analytics to respond customers’ needs, stresses the importance of gathering information for innovation. Yet only one in 10 deem their companies very effective at both sourcing potential collaborators and aligning incentives between the two partners.
This is the topline finding of a survey of 267 consumer products and retail senior executives globally, featured in a new paper by EY, Delivering agile innovation.
On consumer products industry nearly one in five (19%) respondents say they are very effective at achieving revenue increases, 16% are very effective at achieving margin increases, 12% each are very effective at brand equity and building a broader culture of innovation and only 10% are very effective at generating intellectual property from these partnerships. For more information, please visit www. ey. com.
Define and measure success
9. Additionally, companies need to look at innovation opportunities beyond just products and processes, and consider business models, consumer experiences and brand engagement as part of an overall innovation portfolio.
It is smaller entrepreneurial firms that can offer the agility and creative thinking that larger organizations need to unplug innovation bottlenecks. Make the case for being agile
2. Respondents were spread evenly around the world, with close to one-third each from EMEIA, Asia-Pacific and the Americas. Secondly, EY and Longitude Research conducted 45 interviews with senior executives from consumer products and retail companies, entrepreneurs and academics. Consumer products companies and retailers must innovate both their products and their business models. Identify the right tea
5. In Romania, EY has been a leader on the professional services market since its set up in 1992. Our network is the most integrated at global level and its vast resources allow us to help our clients benefit from every opportunity. From 1 July 2013, Ernst & Young becomes EY, the logo has been modified in response to this change and the companys new tagline becomes "Building a better working world". Adapt processes and break the rules as necessary
8. Our over 450 employees in Romania and Moldova provide seamless assurance, tax, transactions, and advisory services to clients ranging from multinationals to local companies. For retail 51% of respondents consider identifying the right partners, 48% structuring the arrangement with the entrepreneurial firm and 42% ongoing management of the relationship with the entrepreneurial firm as the main challenges to collaboration on innovation with smaller firms.
Constantin Magdalina, Knowledge Management, EY Romania: "As the retail and customer products industries evolve, executives will need to enable innovation in order for their companies to be able to capture new value and address the changing customers’ needs and expectations. Think simple, act fast
4. Companies must collaborate with external partners, particularly smaller entrepreneurs, to identify, develop and scale up promising new product and process ideas. More than 50% of companies have more than US$500m in annual revenues. Companies future revenue increase and market share depend on how good they will be at identifying the right partners, leveraging the relationship and arrangements with entrepreneurial firms to develop such innovative solutions".
Traditional approaches to innovation are no longer fit for purpose. The new visual identity reflects the new strategy of EY, Vision 2020. On retail the percentages of respondents for achieving revenue increases and margin increases are similar to consumer products industry while a slightly difference can be noticed for brand equity 10%, building a broader culture of innovation 10% and intellectual property generated 7%.
At the question "what are the key challenges of collaboration on innovation with smaller entrepreneurial firms?" respondents say that for consumer products the top three challenges are: identifying the right partners 52%, ongoing management of the relationship with the entrepreneurial firm 44% and structuring the arrangement with the entrepreneurial firm 42%.